[Emacspeak] Re: Nothing works after brew upgrade

About the only thing I've seen which will break the makefile is if your
running a version of Emacs which is too old and does not support
features current emacspeak depends on.

My guess is that when you run make, your system is using the default
Emacs which comes with macOS. This is an extremely old version of emacs
and will not work with emacspeak.

A common problem people can run into is that they install a new vertsion
of Emacs using homebrew, but their system PATH has not been updated to
ensure the programs installed by homebrew are before the /usr/bin
programs.

To check if this is your problem verify what version of emacs is found
by running

emacs --version

If it turns out to be something like Emacs 21 (basically anything older
than emacs 28 as homebrew will have installed current emacs which is
v28), then you need to do the following

1. Ensure hombrew has created a link in /usr/local/bin for emacs. Just
running

ls -l /usr/local/bin/emacs

will tell you. If it isn't there, you probably need to run the homebrew
linkapps (or something similar, can't quite remember) so that homebrew
creates the necessary symbolic links in /usr/local/bin.

If it is there, then check your path by running

echo $PATH

and make sure that /usr/local/bin comes before /usr/bin. If it doesn't,
then you can either edit

/etc/paths and add

/usr/local/bin

before /usr/bin

or add a file into /etc/paths.d with the line

/usr/local/bin

Note, I'm going from memory wrt the /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d file as
I no longer run macOS. Also, things may have changed slightly, but the
general principals will be the same i.e. you need to ensure the homebrew
version of emacs is found before the default macOS version of
emacs. Note that some people will just add /usr/local/bin to the PATH
variable in their shell init scripts (i.e. .profile, .bash_profile or
maybe .zprofile). While this will work when you run emacs from within a
terminal (sssuming your terminal runs inside a login shecll), it won't
work when you run Emacs from the dock or finder as programs started in
this manner do not run inside a login shell, so .profile has not been sourced.