[Emacspeak] Re: Introduction & Voice Configuration Questions

OK, I understand -- what would you have to do maybe to the outloud
server, to modify it so it could work with the embeeded voices?
Anyone  else who could cchime in for some ideas.  I was also thinking
what would it take to make a emacspeak server that would work with
speech dispatcher?  This would solve the problem because the embeeded
voices already work with speech dispatcher and we could have an
emacspeak server client that would work also.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 18:13:48 -0500,
David J. J. Ring, Jr. wrote:

> John,
>
> If you're speaking about me, I think you must have misunderstood.
>
> I'll try to be clearer in what I say - and I know that with
> something that has four names it is confusing, because the web
> calls voxin by the names of IBM TTS, Voxin, Oralux, and ViaVoice.
>
> In fact, when emacspeak is started with the command "emacs" a
> correctly installed installation using the IBM TTS Voxin voice
> says: "ViaVoice using ALSA".
>
> Short version: only IBM TTS type of voxin works in
> emacspeak. Voxin Embedded doesn't work in emacspeak, only IBM
> TTS, Via Voice type does work.
>
> Longer version:
>
> The only Voxin voices that work in emacspeak are the old and very
> inexpensive IBM TTS voices.S
>
> The newer Voxin Embedded voices currently being sold at
> oralux.org in addition to the previously mentioned IBM TTS voices
> (also called ViaVoice) are NOT compatible with emacspeak because
> there is NO speech server in emacspeak.  One has to be developed
> if these voices are to work.  The only software speech servers
> that currently exist are for espeak and outloud.  As previously
> mentioned outloud, IBM TTS, and ViaVoice are used interchangeably
> and mean the same thing.
>
> As mentioned: voxin-say -L will tell you the voices you have installed.
>
> Here's my voices after the command above.
> voxin-say -L
>
> Name,Language,Variant
> american_english,en,US
> zoe-ml-embedded-high,en,US
>

> The first voice is the IBM TTS voxin voice, this WILL work in
> emacspeak, the second is a Voxin Embedded Voice which costs
> around $30.00 but cannot be used inside emacspeak.  It can be
> used in console and it can be used with orca.
>
> Try the command "voxin-say -L" note the capital L.
>
> Additionally the command on the next line should result in your
> hearing your voxin voice (or one of them if you have more than
> one voice) speaking.
>
> voxin-say "Hello World" | aplay
>
> If this causes problems simply reinstall your voxin voice.  If
> that doesn't work, uninstall the voice completely using the
> installer with the -u switch as in:
>
> /voxin-installer.sh -u
>
> I have no idea why sometimes it doesn't work, but in all cases
> either reinstalling or uninstalling makes it work for myself and
> the others I've helped.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> David
>

> On 1/22/22 17:06, John Covici wrote:
> > Here is what I have for this file
> >
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 Jun 27  2021 /opt/oralux/voxin/rfs32/eci.ini
> > -> ../../../../var/opt/IBM/ibmtts/cfg/eci.ini
> >
> > but according to another poster on this list I need a different speech
> > server?

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una