[Emacspeak] Re: Introduction & Voice Configuration Questions

John,

If you're speaking about me, I think you must have misunderstood.

I'll try to be clearer in what I say - and I know that with something
that has four names it is confusing, because the web calls voxin by the
names of IBM TTS, Voxin, Oralux, and ViaVoice.

In fact, when emacspeak is started with the command "emacs" a correctly
installed installation using the IBM TTS Voxin voice says: "ViaVoice
using ALSA".

Short version: only IBM TTS type of voxin works in emacspeak. Voxin
Embedded doesn't work in emacspeak, only IBM TTS, Via Voice type does work.

Longer version:

The only Voxin voices that work in emacspeak are the old and very
inexpensive IBM TTS voices.S

The newer Voxin Embedded voices currently being sold at oralux.org in
addition to the previously mentioned IBM TTS voices (also called
ViaVoice) are NOT compatible with emacspeak because there is NO speech
server in emacspeak.  One has to be developed if these voices are to
work.  The only software speech servers that currently exist are for
espeak and outloud.  As previously mentioned outloud, IBM TTS, and
ViaVoice are used interchangeably and mean the same thing.

As mentioned: voxin-say -L will tell you the voices you have installed.

Here's my voices after the command above.
voxin-say -L

Name,Language,Variant
american_english,en,US
zoe-ml-embedded-high,en,US

The first voice is the IBM TTS voxin voice, this WILL work in emacspeak,
the second is a Voxin Embedded Voice which costs around $30.00 but
cannot be used inside emacspeak.  It can be used in console and it can
be used with orca.

Try the command "voxin-say -L" note the capital L.

Additionally the command on the next line should result in your hearing
your voxin voice (or one of them if you have more than one voice) speaking.

voxin-say "Hello World" | aplay

If this causes problems simply reinstall your voxin voice.  If that
doesn't work, uninstall the voice completely using the installer with
the -u switch as in:

/voxin-installer.sh -u

I have no idea why sometimes it doesn't work, but in all cases either
reinstalling or uninstalling makes it work for myself and the others
I've helped.

Best wishes,

David