Re: emacspeak-rss-browse

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> You probably want to do a `cvs update' instead of `cvs checkout'.
>
>     cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxx:/sources/w3 update

I did this command with much the same result.

rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~/sourceforge$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxx:/sources/w3 update w3
cvs update: Updating w3
cvs update: Updating w3/contrib
cvs update: Updating w3/etc
cvs update: Updating w3/etc/w3
cvs update: Updating w3/etc/w3/pixmaps
cvs update: Updating w3/lisp
cvs update: Updating w3/tests
cvs update: Updating w3/texi
rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~/sourceforge$

I then did the checkout of the emacs-w3m cvs with these results.  Note
that this is also a checkout command, as far as I can tell.  I snipped
out a bunch, but There are lines that look the same as what I get for
the w3 update and / or checkout.  I have included a few of these as
well.

rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~/sourceforge$ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxx:/storage/cvsroot co emacs-w3m
cvs checkout: Updating emacs-w3m
U emacs-w3m/ChangeLog
U emacs-w3m/Makefile.in

[snip]

cvs checkout: Updating emacs-w3m/attic
cvs checkout: Updating emacs-w3m/doc
U emacs-w3m/doc/Makefile.in
U emacs-w3m/doc/emacs-w3m-ja.texi

> As far as I know, after you have checked out the sources, an update
> only provides you with files that are changed.  This is much quicker.
> Also as far as I know, `update' means CVS changes the files on your
> system, which is always the case when you checkout fresh.

I'll remember that.  I was not aware that there was a difference in
practice.

> For whatever reason, which may no longer be valid, I also update the
> sources for `url'.  Maybe `url' was not part of Emacs when I started
> doing this.  I don't know whether a separate `url' update is still
> needed.  I suspect not.

As far as I know, url is now a part of emacs starting with version 22.
I have not updated url since I started using cvs emacs.

As far as w3 et al, I do an install with these from my sourceforge
directory, which holds all of my cvs trees, to my home directory
hierarchy.

Thanks for the help,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

We is confronted with insurmountable opportunities.
		-- Walt Kelly, "Pogo"