Re: emacspeak-rss-browse

    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxx:/sources/w3 co w3

You probably want to do a `cvs update' instead of `cvs checkout'.

    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxx:/sources/w3 update

As far as I know, after you have checked out the sources, an update
only provides you with files that are changed.  This is much quicker.
Also as far as I know, `update' means CVS changes the files on your
system, which is always the case when you checkout fresh.

For whatever reason, which may no longer be valid, I also update the
sources for `url'.  Maybe `url' was not part of Emacs when I started
doing this.  I don't know whether a separate `url' update is still
needed.  I suspect not.

    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxx:/sources/url update

Anyhow, according to my notes, I do the CVS updates in a shell and
builds in an instance of Emacs.  (I could update in Emacs, too, but I
had not written that when when I made these notes.  I have not changed
anything since.)

Here are two Emacs expressions for configuring and building.  These I
evaluate.  They specify two directories, one each with `url' and `w3';
your locations are likely to be different.

;; Build:

     (progn
       (cd "/u/url")
       (compile "./configure && make"))

;; wait for the previous compilation to end

     (progn
       (cd "/u/w3")
       (compile "./configure --with-emacs --with-url=/u/url/lisp/ \
                --prefix=/u/w3 --exec-prefix=/u/w3 && make"))

;; Then I update and compile Emacspeak using this code.  All of this
;; is done in Emacs ... specifying a yet different directory ...

        (progn
          (unless (fboundp 'vc-svn-update) (load "vc-svn"))
          (cd "/usr/local/src/emacspeak/")
          (call-process "svn" nil '("*svn update information*" t) t "update")
          (pop-to-buffer "*svn update information*"))

          (progn
            (cd "/usr/local/src/emacspeak/")
            ;; the *compilation* buffer is usually smaller than 50k
            (compile "sudo chown -R bob.users . && \
                      time make -k config && \
                      time make -k emacspeak && \
                      time find . -name '*.el' -print | etags - && \
                      time sudo make -k install"))

;; When I want to see how long the second expression takes, I evaluate this:
(let ((this-buffer (current-buffer)))
  (pop-to-buffer "*compilation*") (re-search-forward "^real")
  (switch-to-buffer-other-window this-buffer))

;; Then I run a fresh Emacspeak.

--

    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    bob@xxxxxxxxxxx                         bob@xxxxxxxxxxx