Re: [Emacspeak] Binary Builds (via Github)

I don't think increased user support requests in themselves are the
key issue. Raman (and others) have been happy to help users that are
willing to help themselves. However, the big issue is that as you add
these additional bits of functionality or features to make it easier to
get started, you add both additional maintenance and often additional
complexity and higher expectations, which by their nature reduces the software's usability as a
research workbench because new ideas and prototyping take longer. This
is a key part of Kent Beck's 3X model, You cannot have both. You may be
able to seek a middle ground, but that takes some real discipline and a
willingness to say no even when there seems to be community demand. I
think Raman is successful in finding that middle ground.

The work Robert has been doing is absolutely fantastic. However, we need
to also balance what he is doing with the long term goals and
maintenance demands going forward. I know from my own open source
projects that contributions can easily become an issue as well as a
benefit. For example, I added functionality to my JS library which
people wanted and which was originally contributed via a PR. However,
some months later, the original contributors moved on to other things
and now I'm left having to maintain functionality I didn't want but
which is now expected by the user base. I now have a larger maintenance
burden than I originally wanted and have to spend time maintaining
something I don't need which is taking time away from the stuff I do
want to do.