Re: [Emacspeak] Some auditory icon related bugs/issues

I will test with the changes later today.

Just as an aside and some background, the main reason I wanted to switch
to the SoX approach for playing icons is because I need a way to
decrease the volume of the icons. On my system, they are way too loud
compared to the speech.

Looking at it, I couldn't find an easy way to drop the volume when
playing things via pactl and playing stored samples. It looks like the
only way to achieve this would be to create a virtual sink device which
you could manage separately wrt sound volume (I could easily be wrong
here as my understanding of pulse and pipewire is rudimentary at best).

One of the advantages of using sox is that the sox play program has a
volume switch, so I figured I could use the ems--play-args variable and
set it to "-q -v 0.5" for example. However, this is also a little harder
than necesary because the emacspeak-play-program custom stanza sets that
variable, so I have to set it in a hook after custom has been
loaded. Would be good if ems--play-args was changed back to a user
accessible variable again.