[Emacspeak] Is there a way to make dtk-caps and dtk-punctuation-mode settings stick?

Hi.
This is probably a simple question, but I am not able to make the dtk-caps and dtk-punctuation-mode variables "stick" and persist across sessions after setting them in my initialization file.
In fact, even if I set them interactively in one buffer with the "universal prefix" , they will get reset in other buffers.
I am probably missing something obvious here, but what?

Thanks for any pointers!
Best.
Victor