Re: [Emacspeak] Detecting emacspeak directory

 Agree. Only mentioned the use of the environment variable in the context
 of installing the most recent swiftmac server from Robert's own github
 rather than the one actually in the emacspeak tree itself. My
 understanding (which could easily be wrong) was that the issue was with
 getting a copy from RObert's private git repo and having that installed
 inside the Emacspeak install, replacing the version included in
 emacspeak.

 Of course, this also has other issues not yet discussed. For example,
 when someone has installed from Robert's private repo and copied the
 server into the emacspeak tree, then enxt time the user goes to pull
 from the emacspeak repo, git will tell them they need to either commit
 or stash their changes. THis will likely cause all sorts of problems for
 users as committing will mean their local emacspeak copy has diverged
 from the main emacspeak repo.

 I do wonder if there is a better way of doing this. For example, I think
 it might be possible for emacspeak to include Robert's swiftmac
 repository as a sub repository within the emacspeak repository. When
 people do a checkout of the emacspeak repository, they would get that
 repository as well, but as it is actually its own repository, they could
 also switch its branch, lets say to the development branch. This would
 avoid all the current issues and allow those who want to to run Robert's
 bleeding edge development version while others just stick with the
 stable version, plus Robert wouldn't need to do pushes from his repo
 into the emacspeak repo. However, I've only read about using this
 sub-repo spproach and don't know what the hidden complexities/issues are
 or what other limitations this could introduce.

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:38:43 +1100