[Emacspeak] Re: Mac server python version requirements, go version and intro

Robert Melton <lists(a)robertmelton.com> writes:

> Hey Tim!
>

> Thanks so much, so far pouring stuff has been my problem as I have a
> sincere belief I can hear when the cup is almost full, and I still believe it!
> Reality of my spills be damned.  Wife is doing all the dangerous cooking
> for now, our stovetop is a flat black electric burner and I gotta find a way
> to instrument it before I play around with it.

ah yes, those flat black electric stove tops - I never really found a
good solution. In the end, I change stove tops! For me, at the time, I
lived by myself, so it was challenging. I still recall the first dinner
I cooked for friends. During the cooking, I mixed up the chopped up
vegetables and the peelings - throwing the chopped veg into the rubbish
and the peelings into the stir fry. Did you know when you stir fry onion
skin it ends up with the consistency and taste of melted plastic!

Initially I did get given some 'aids', such as this thing I could stick
in my coffee cup that would make a noise when it was nearly
full. However, you do learn to know by hearing and now I couldn't even
tell you where that aid is. One thing we are really lucky with here in
Austgralia is some fantastic support agencies. In particular, the Guide
Dog Association were fantastic. They don't just do guide dogs, but all
sorts of things, like mobility training. I still remember the first day
I left the house with just my cane. Initially, I was taught to hold my
cane directly in front to make sure I covered both my left and right
sufficiently. The downside with that is that if the cane catches on
something, like a bit of path sticking up, you may not stop quick enough
and end up hitting yourself with the handle end in a somewhat sensitive
area at the centre of your body, just below your waist! I did this, lost
my temper due to pain and frustration and snapped the cane across my
knee. I then stood there, feeling really stupid, with two bits of broken
cane and wondering how the hell do I get home. I then heard people in
the house I was outside and the husband says to the wife "Hey Narelle,
there is a blind guy out the front how looks to be in a bit of trouble,
I'm going to go and see if he is OK.  Turned out it was the husband of
the pain management nurse who had helped me with my medication when I
was in hospital and he walked me home. All seems funny now, but it was
hard at the time.

> Yep... got this message a little too late.  Some things are general and great
> like my beloved swiper, just helps me get to where I am thinking of... other
> things like jedi lsp mode for python feel like they were sent to this plane of
> existance to enrage me... I have never spent as much time angry at a plugin
> as I have this... I really just wanted to jump to definition... I got an angry
> and annoying overbearing thing that tries to interupt me as I type
> constantly... I do so much as add a comment, don't worry it wants to help me
> with autocomplete!  *grumble*

I don't do python - really dislike it as a language. However, one thing
I ahve found which has had quite a big impact on how I use Emacs and
what modes/packages I use is eglot, the LSP client. With eglot, my
configuration to create a good dev environment is now gone and replaced
by eglot and an appropriate language server. Once upon a time, you had
to configure completions, templates, code formatting, linters, etc for
each language you worked in. Now, I just install a language server and
run eglot and I get 90% of what I need. A lot of people will recommend
lsp-mode as this was the first LSP client for emacs. It is a good mode,
but eglot has the advantage of being a lot smaller and uses existing
emacs facilities rather than re-inventing them e.g. it uses xref,
project, flymake and eldoc as the core building blocks.

Another thing you may or may not want to look at (I'm hesitant in
recommending this one because it has some problems) is evil mode. I've
been using evil-mode for quite a while now and I love it. Evil mode
basically adds VI emulation to emacs. It gives you modal editing with
normal, visual, insert, motion modes etc and the hjkl keys for
navigation as well as ':' commands and lots more. It isn't 100%
compatible, but pretty close.

The biggest problem I've found with it is the character motion speaks
the wrong key when moving around. It speaks the right key when you step
backwards by a character, but when you move forward, it speaks the key
you were on, not the key you moved to. I had a brief look at it, but it
wasn't as straight-forward to fix as you would think and I've sort of
got use to it. I rarely move forward by character anyway. Anyway, I'm
happy to put up with the problems to have my beloved modal editing back!
Despite using standard Emacs for over 20 years, as soon as I tried
evil-mode I realised I still just want that modal editing.

> Thanks, and I feel a lot more sane after getting plugged into this community

Give us time - I'm sure we can drive you insane too!

|Full archive May 1995 - present by Year|Mailing list's archive of current year by month|