[Emacspeak] Re: Mac server python version requirements, go version and intro

"T.V Raman via Emacspeak" <emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org> writes:

> 3. Swiper never really worked for me, may be I just couldn't figure it
>    out or didn't invest enough time figuring it out.
>
> 4. Do you see at all? Might  affect things like swiper,  helm et-al --
>    for instance, helm is just too slow if you see nothing -- see
>    relevant blog article on the emacspeak blog.

Hi Robert and welcome to the emacspeak community. I can appreciate your
situation as pretty much the same thing happened to me about 27 years
ago. I was a vi user who lost my sight and had to learn both Emacs and
emacspeak as well as all the other challenges which occur when you lose
your sight (you should have seen the disaster of me trying to
cook!). The good news is that very steep learning curve is doable and
you will eventually get there.

Just in case it is helpful....

Raman's advice is very relevant. A lot of the 'wisdom' you will find
when searching for tips regarding Emacs is very much focused on the
needs of users who are accustomed to a visual user interface. Many of
the 'must have' packages they talk about are of only marginal benefit to
those of us who rely on an auditory interface.

I think the key to emacs and emacspeak is start simple. These days,
especially with the current development versions of emacs, pretty much
everything you need is already there. The addition of eglot (a LSP
client), together with things like package.el, flymake and xref means
you have all the essential building blocks for a powerful working
environment already in emacs without any need to add additional
packages. As these are built-in emacs features which use standard emacs
facilities, you will also find they will tend to work better with
emacspeak 'out of the box' than many external packages that have a more
bespoke implementation.

The two most important things to learn initially are the Emacs help
systgem (everything linked to C-h) and the info pages, especially the
Emacs manual. There is sufficient depth of information in just the
built-in help system and info documentation to keep you occupied for
quite some time. One thing you will likely learn is that more often than
not, external packages people recommend have a functionally equivalent
built-in facility or package ready for you to use.  For example, I no
longer use helm or ivy. Instead, I now use vertico, a completion UI
which leverages off built-in completion facilities of Emacs and which is
part of Emacs.

In general, look for solutions already included in emacs, then ones
included in GNU ELPA, followed by non-gnu ELPA and only when all of
these have been exhausted, go to repositories like MELPA.

Goog luck

|Full archive May 1995 - present by Year|Mailing list's archive of current year by month|