[Emacspeak] Re: a couple of possibly basic questions about emacspeak on the mac

On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 01:59:37 -0400,
Tim Cross wrote:

> John Covici <covici(a)ccs.covici.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 19:57:44 -0400,
> > Tim Cross via Emacspeak wrote:

> >> Just replying to basically let you know your message hasn't been
> >> ignored!!
> >>
> >> I've never used macports and my mac book is too old to install the
> >> latest macOS, so I cannot help. Curious though, how do you know a single
> >> character is being spoken at a high rate of speed? (I'm not even sure
> >> what 'speed' means in that context - it is a single character, so speed
> >> relative to what?)
> >>
> >> With regards to silencing VO while in Emacs, there is an option
> >> available in the railwaycat/emacsmacport cask for homebrew, but it is
> >> specific to that port (i.e. not part of vanilla emacs), so I suspect if
> >> your using macports your out of luck and need to be using homebrew.
> >
> > Thanks for your quick response.
> >
> > So, I did install homebrew and installed the casc, where is the option
> > to silence vo?
> >

> I don't have my mac book with me right now, but from memory, you have to
> set the variable mac-ignore-accessibility to t in your emacs init file.
>
> Note that this is classified as an experimental feature and it is known
> to have some 'glitches' (but I have no details on what those might be).

I also found something interesting while looking at the manual.  There
is a control sequence c-edf which scales the speech rate while
speaking characters.  If I set this to 0.9 then single characters
sound normal instead of what seems very fast to me.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici(a)ccs.covici.com