[Emacspeak] Re: Speech-enabled real time collaborative editing?

Tim Cross <theophilusx(a)gmail.com> writes:

1+ on everything you say Tim -- pair  programming works at a higher
level, ie one person driving at the keyboard, the other sitting beside
and watching/thinking. That's what I've always done, and if you Google,
some of the best engineers in the world that I know work in this manner;
eg Google for articles about Jeff Dean and Sanjay -- two of Google's
most senior engineers.

Pair programming isn't about two programmers simultaneously writing a
 "for" loop with one person writing "i" for the loop variable while the
 other writes "j":-)

Git at a fine-grained level, with a separate voice channel for talking
(in the case of telecommuting or remote working) is what I recommend as
an augmentation to Git.

More broadly, I've never seen "collaborative editing" really work for
anyone   at scale -- what people depend on is "immediate refresh" where
one person edits, the other sees what they are editing and this can be
pretty well achieved with Git, in fact updates at that resolution are
likely less confusing.

The other model, seeing each character as the other person types reminds
 me of Unix Talk from back in the 80's -- it sounds nice, but was never
 pleasant. (You actually saw your partner backspacing in that mode of
 interaction)