[Emacspeak] Re: Speech-enabled real time collaborative editing?

This is a difficult one to solve. I never found collaborative or pair
programming much use (I think it is probably much more beneficial for
sighted users). When I did do it, I used the tmux method linked to on
that page you referenced. We used spacemacs because it can be configured
to support both VI (evil mode) and normal Emacs key bindings at the same
time (few non-emacs users are comfortable with Emacs key bindings, but
many are comfortable with VI bindings and modal interface). Essentially,
it is like running Emacs in a terminal and you just configure it with
emacspeak. The other person connects to your tmux session running emacs.
It works OK, but there is a bit of a learning curve with tmux. I have
tried some of the other methods outlined on the wiki page, but never had
great success and they were much harder to get working. The hardest part
was getting the tmux session working as I had problems getting Orca to
work well at that level. However, I have some sight, so was able to
muddle through using a large screen and magnifying glass. In my case,
the collaboration was over the Internet, so also had to sort out
firewalls and port forwarding, but that was fairly straight-forward.

I have had better success with a 'modified' pair programming model.
Rather than both being able to edit the same document at the same time,
we used a shared git repository and switched between who had actual
editing control. We used google meetup at the same time so that we are
able to communicate in real time. One person would write the code,
verbalising what they were doing (at a high level, not letter for
letter/word for word). When it was time to swap roles, the one doing the
editing would commit what they did and push it so that the other could
do a pull and start editing. We found this worked really well. This is
actually more in line with the pair programming practice. It isn't about
both people editing at the same time, but more about one doing the
editing while both discuss and the second making suggestions when the
one doing the editing is 'stuck'. If you have some sight, it can also be
useful for the one doing the editing to share their screen. The hardest
thing to learn with pair programming is to shut up and watch/listen. I
found this sort of model a lot more rewarding as it often opened me up
to alternative solutions and having someone to bounce ideas off in real
time can be refreshing compared to hours of coding on your own.

Tim