Announcement - List changes happening soon!

Hi Folks,

I know it has been far too long since the emacspeak list had an upgrade.  Much of the problem resulted from the September 2015 policy change at Vassar.  From that date I no longer had access to the server running the list server and mail software and I did not find out until after my access was removed.   The CS Department was required by the new college policy to close my account which also had the effect of ending the archive updates.  But as of March 2021 the list will have a new home and is running an up to date suite of software!

A few months back I purchased a virtual server from Linode. I set up the machine and the mail system, and Tim Cross set up the web server and mailing list software. The new list will be running on mailman3 and all mail will be archived to the web with hyperkitty. We have been configuring and testing.  There is always room for more customization, but we are almost ready to go live with the new  setup.  That will happen right around March 1.

I am in communication with the current CS Department Sys Admin and should get a copy of the subscribers to this list late next week. Once that happens I will import the list into the new listserver and you will get a welcome message from the new system. At that point we are good to use the new list.  I will post here on the cs.vassar.edu emacspeak list to close this address out.  At that point, if you did not get the welcome message from the new list, then you can subscribe to the new list directly.  I will post full instructions here after I do the bulk address add so if you are getting this now, you should not have to manually subscribe.  You will just get a welcome message once I have coordinated the transition with the Vassar CS Department.

In general, joining, leaving, and posting as well as accessing the archive will all be done without creating an account on the new system.  If however you want to customize your list options with mailman3, then you will need to either contact us requesting the change or you will need to create a member account and password using the postorius web interface at  the new server.  We can discuss this over the next few weeks.

I know I have not included the address of the new server yet.  I will send that next week.  For right now I am keeping it under wraps.

More as it happens,

-Greg

|All Past Years |Current Year|