Voxin 3.x incompatibility with outloud speech-server

Hi all

After upgrading Voxin from 2.2 to 3.3rc3, I noticed that all words
containing German umlauts or French accented characters were no longer
pronounced correctly in Emacspeak. They were pronounced, as if the
non-ASCII characters were missing. The problem does not occur with the
voxin-say tool or with the Voxin speech-dispatcher module. The problem
can be reproduced outside of Emacs by using the outloud speech-server
directly. The problem already occurs with Voxin 3.0, so it was
introduced between 2.2 and 3.0.

I think I tracked down the problem to a change in behavior of the
eciAddText function. In ibmtts, this function expects the text to
synthesize to be encoded in a specific charset depending on the input
language. For western European languages like English, German or
French, this is iso-8859-1. this per language charset conversion is
implemented in the Emacspeak outloud speech-server. In Voxin 3.0
however, the eciAddText function apparently always expects UTF-8
encoded text.

This means that Voxin 3.0 has changed the contract for the eciAddText
function in the provided proxy library. On the one hand, this relieves
clients from performing the language specific charset conversion
themselves and gives Voxin mor flexibility by accepting text
containing characters outside of iso-8859-1 for western European
languages. On the other hand, it breaks existing clients.

It is unclear to me if this chage was made intentionally or if it
should be considered a bug. It might have been better to introduce an
additional function in the proxy library (e.g. eciAddTextUtf8) and
leave the behavior of eciAddText as specified by the ibmtts
documentation.

Of course, the pproblem can be worked around in the Emacspeak outloud
speech-server by simply omitting the per-language charset conversion.

Best regards

Lukas

|All Past Years |Current Year|