Re: Random inserts

Jen -

Please try running this script, which asks the DECtalk to speak the
serial port and version number:

#!/bin/bash
# try to send a string to the synthesizer via four different serial ports
for x in 0 1 2 3; do
    (DTK_PORT=/dev/ttyS$x
    echo "trying $DTK_PORT"
    stty sane 9600 raw -echo crtscts <$DTK_PORT &&\
    stty -echo                       <$DTK_PORT &&\
    stty ixon ixoff                  <$DTK_PORT &&\
    echo "this is /dev/t t y s $x" [:version speak] $'\013' >$DTK_PORT )&
# if one of the above commands hangs, kill the process
    sleep 2; kill $! >/dev/null 2>&1
done

For what it's worth, mine says "this is /dev/ttyS0 version 4 3 release
AAX01 May 20 1996".

If this script does not work, then I suspect it's a really old
DECtalk.  Is it a DECtalk Express?  A DECtalk Express has a small
plastic case, about 3 by 9 by 19 cm.  If it's much larger than that, I
suggest you try the DECtalk MV server, with something like this:

  export DTK_PROGRAM=dtk-mv

		- Jim Van Zandt