Re: [Emacspeak] Question about multilingual support

Hello Argiris,
On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:57:33 +0100, Argiris Koumtzis <argiris.koumtzis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to learn German recently and I would like to ask for recommendations for how I could configure emacspeak so that I can read in the same document both English and German. Any advise is very much welcom!
If you're asking whether you can configure emacspeak to automatically switch
languages while you're reading the text I don't think you can, certainly not
unless the document is marked up in the right way (like lang tags of html). Even
if there is I personally don't recommend it, screen readers often get language
switching wrong and typing C-e d shift-s isn't that much of a bother, in my
opinion of course.

I don't know if you bumped into that problem yet, but I know that emacspeak has
(had?) this nasty tendency to translate basically any non-ascii character into
an english description which messes up any language that uses such characters,
including german letters with umlauts. I managed to fix most of it with the few
lines below, but it still didn't work right with C-e c and moving over
characters.

```elisp
;; Somewhere after actually loading emacspeak
(setq dtk-unicode-handlers '(char-to-string))
(add-to-list 'dtk-unicode-untouched-charsets 'unicode)
```

I'd love to hear if the situation has improved since I shoved that into init.el.

--
Kind Regards,

Aleksandar