Re: [Emacspeak] Compiling emacspeak on Nix OS

that error would indicate you don't have the espeak-ng development
sources installed OR the headers/libraries are not on the default search
path used by the compiler.

I'm not familiar with nix, but you typically need to install the source
code for espeak to get the development libraries and header files. On
other systems, this is often a package with the -devel suffix.

I would search your system for the speech_lib.h file. If it isn't there,
then you know there is additional sources you need to install. If it is
on your system, then you probably need to modify the  espeak Makefile to
tell the compiler where to find the included header files and libraries.