Re: [Emacspeak] Emacspeak and meow

That package looks interesting.

Unfortunately, pretty much impossible to provide any specific help
without knowing more about the package and how it works.

For example, I have no idea what functions 'ws' invokes as a key
binding. I don't know what 'w' is supposed to do and can only guess at
what 's' does. Does it just use standard emacs functions or does it use
specific meow functions or a mix? I don't even know precisely what the
expected behaviour should be and what behaviour is modified when/if mark
is set or a region is defined etc.

When using a package like this, you will need to debug the issue
yourself. I would start by looking at what functions 'ws' calls and see
if any of them have emacspeak advice on them. I would then either use
the emacs debugger or add debugging statements in key locations to try
and trace what is going on.

Packages like meow, god-mode, evil-mode etc will frequently have
unexpected issues when used in conjunction with Emacspeak. This can be
expected when you add another package which significantly
modifies/changes the interface model used by Emacs. Emacspeak makes a
few assumptions about key bindings and the interface model. Once you
begin to modify these in any significant manner, you will run into
issues. Some are easily fixed, others are more difficult. For example,
there are some character navigation issues with Emacspeak and evil-mode
which I've not been able to adequately resolve despite numerous
attempts. However, they are minor and don't bother me too much. On the
other hand, there were other issues with evil-mode I was able to track
down and once I had identified the problem and a workable solution which
also did not impact normal Emacspeak users, Raman was happy to
incorporate those changes into Emacspeak.

So, the good news is that once you identify the cause of the problem, it
will likely be possible to find a way to incorporate the fix into
emacspeak. The bad news is this effort will likely be down to you as it
is unlikely there will be another user who is also using meow and
emacspeak. (I will likely look at it, but I'm about to go travelling for
2 months and won't have any computer or internet. I like modal editors,
so meow sounds very interesting and it would be good to have something
less 'heavy' than evil mode as I'm less interested in VI emulation and
more interested in modal editing).

|Full archive May 1995 - present by Year|Mailing list's archive of current year by month|