[Emacspeak] Re: Announcing "swiftmac" a new voice server for MacOS

I realize this is kind of orthogonal to the topic at hand, but am very curious about the software dectalk. What form does that take, and where can I get it? I know that there used to be Linux versions of software Dectalk but wasn't aware they were still supported.

-----Original Message-----
From: T.V Raman via Emacspeak <emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 4, 2023 6:58 PM
To: Robert Melton via Emacspeak <emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org>
Cc: Robert Melton <lists(a)robertmelton.com>
Subject: [Emacspeak] Re: Announcing "swiftmac" a new voice server for MacOS

Robert Melton via Emacspeak <emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org> writes:

1. for notification stream on  one ear you dont need pan really -- you
   just tell that process to use the left or  right audio channel --
   that's what I do on Linux.

2. for capitalization flags:

It depends on what you have available and  how you map those capabilities.

So the Dectalk can generate tones itself which means they are synchronized with the speech, so Emacspeak used those for allcaps beep etc.

Then in 1999 I added outloud support which did not have tones built in, so I worked around that.

Then I added the "ac" prefix in the speech for all-caps.

Then when the software Dectalk arrived last year, I brought back the beeps.

So rather than copying any of the above, use those flags to implement behavior that lets you easily tell the use of caps from lower case, and to be able to tell a capitalized vs all-upper-case identifier apart, and that without becoming a nuisance from a user experience perspective.

--

Thanks,

--Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research) ♈ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮