[Emacspeak] Re: Problems with latest emacspeak on mac

So there is almost no Mac-specific code except:

1. the mac python server -- play with the #! line since the Mac might
   be triggering the wrong python interpreter  when called by Emacs.

2. mac-voices.el is the other file that is mac-specific.

3. If all else fails, I'm  afraid you'll have to do a git bisect to
   find where the breakage happened.

Victor Tsaran writes:
> [...]

e release
 > > >  > was emacspeak 57.0, which was released 13 days ago.
 > > >  >
 > > >  > When Raman releases a new version, the repository is tagged w=
ith a
 > > >  > version tag for that version. This means you can always check=
out the
 > > >  > version corresponding to s specific release by doing
 > > >  >
 > > >  > git checkout <tag>
 > > >  >
 > > >  > where <tag> is the release version number i.e. to get the las=
t stable
 > > release,
 > > >  > do
 > > >  >
 > > >  > git checkout 57.0
 > > >  >
 > > >  > You will then want to do
 > > >  >
 > > >  > make clean
 > > >  > make config
 > > >  > make
 > > >  >
 > > >  > Later, if you want to checkout the latest code and try it aga=
in, you
 > > can do a
 > > >  >
 > > >  > git checkout master
 > > >  >
 > > >  > At any time to return to the tip of the version tree. You can=
 also do
 > > >  >
 > > >  > git log
 > > >  >
 > > >  > to see a log of commits which have been made. Each entry in t=
he log
 > > has
 > > >  > a commit hash which can be used to identify a specific commit=
. The
 > > hash
 > > >  > is quite long, but you don't need the whole hash, just enough=
 of it to
 > > >  > identify the commit you are after (usually the first 6 to 10
 > > characters
 > > >  > will work). You can use the has as the target to a git checko=
ut to
 > > >  > checkout the code as it was when that commit was made.
 > > >  >
 > > >  > The most common mistake people make when working with the git=

 > > repository
 > > >  > is forgetting to do a make clean and make config after checki=
ng out
 > > new
 > > >  > sources . It is crucial that you do make clean and make confi=
g after
 > > any
 > > >  > update to the code base. These commands are quick and easy to=
 run and
 > > >  > will ensure your build is consistent. Failure to do this can =
result
 > > in a
 > > >  > mixed version, leading to unstable results.
 > > >  >
 > > >  > Using git checkout, you can move between different versions. =
As
> [...]
 > > >  > Most people really only need to upgrade when they update to a=
 later
 > > >  > version of Emacs or when Raman does a stable release (usually=
 twice a
 > > >  > year). If you run the latest development version of Emacs, yo=
 > > typically
 > > >  > want to update more frequently as Emacspeak is usually kept p=
retty
 > > >  > up-to-date with new features in the development version.
 > > >  >
 > > >  > If you really want to be cautious, you can use git log *befor=
e* you
 > > do a
 > > >  > git pull to see what version/commit your currently on and not=
e down
 > > the
 > > >  > commit hash number. Then do a git pull to get the latest sour=
ces,
 > > >  > followed by the make clean, make config and make to build. If=
 you find
 > > >  > problems with th elatest build, you can use git checkout and =
the
 > > commit
 > > >  > hash you noted at the start to return to the same version you=
 were
 > > >  > running, do a make clean, make config and make and your back =
to the
 > > same
 > > >  > code you had before doing the update. This is one of the grea=
 > > benefits
 > > >  > of using the git repository rather than a tar ball - you can =
easily
 > > move
 > > >  > between versions or restore a previous version if the current=
 head
 > > >  > version doesn't work correctly etc.
 > > >  >
 > > >  > Greg Wocher <gtwocher(a)gmail.com> writes:
 > > >  >
 > > >  >> Hello,
 > > >  >> I upgraded to the latest version in the git repo. How do I c=
heck
 > > which version it is=3F I am running emacs
 > > >  version 28.2.
 > > >  >>
 > > >  >> Thanks,
 > > >  >> Greg Wocher
 > > >  >>
 > > >  >>
 > > >  >>> On Dec 11, 2022, at 4:08 PM, Tim Cross via Emacspeak <
 > > emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org> wrote:
 > > >  >>>
 > > >  >>>
 > > >  >>> When you say you upgraded to the latest version, do you mea=
n you
 > > >  >>> upgraded to Emacspeak 57.0 or you upgraded to the head of t=
he git
 > > >  >>> repository=3F
 > > >  >>>
 > > >  >>> Ask as I know that Raman has been working on updates to han=
dle
 > > changes
 > > >  >>> in Org mode which will be in Emacs 29 when it is released. =
If your
 > > >  >>> running Emacs 28 or earlier, you are probably better off ju=
st
 > > running
 > > >  >>> Emacspeak 57 (the last stable release).
 > > >  >>>
 > > >  >>> If you are running Emacspeak 57, then more investigation wi=
ll be
 > > >  >>> necessary to find out what the issue may be.
 > > >  >>>
 > > >  >>> Greg Wocher via Emacspeak <emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org> writes:=

 > > >  >>>
 > > >  >>>> Hello all,
 > > >  >>>> I am having some strange issues since I updated emacs and
 > > emacspeak to the latest versions
 > > >  >>>> on my mac. Whenever I try to exit out using c-x c-c I get =
 > > strange error about there
 > > >  >>>> being an undefined character in the mini buffer. Also when=
 I use
 > > c-g to quit a partial
 > > >  >>>> command it just says back to top level. I also get back to=
 top
 > > level when I try to
 > > >  >>>> activate the menu using esc then tilda. Does anyone know w=
hat I
 > > might be able to do to try
 > > >  >>>> and fix this issue=3F
 > > >  >>>>
 > > >  >>>> Thanks,
 > > >  >>>> Greg Wocher
 > > >  >>>> =5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F=5F
 > > >  >>>> Emacspeak mailing list -- emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org
 > > >  >>>> To unsubscribe send an email to emacspeak-leave(a)emacspeak.=
org
 > > >  >>> =5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F=5F
 > > >  >>> Emacspeak mailing list -- emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org
 > > >  >>> To unsubscribe send an email to emacspeak-leave(a)emacspeak.o=
rg
 > > >  >
 > > >  =5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F
 > > >  Emacspeak mailing list -- emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org
 > > >  To unsubscribe send an email to emacspeak-leave(a)emacspeak.org
 > >
 > > --
 > >
 > > Thanks,
 > >
 > > --Raman(I Search, I Find, I Misplace, I Research)
 > > =E2=99=88 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  =F0=9F=A6=AE
 > >
 >=20
 >=20
 > --=20
 >=20
 > --- --- --- ---
 > Find my music on
 > Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/victortsaran
 > <http://www.youtube.com/vtsaran>
 > Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/605ZF2JPei9KqgbXBqYA16
 > Band Camp: http://victortsaran.bandcamp.com

--=20

Thanks,

=E2=99=89 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  =F0=9F=A6=AE

--

Thanks,

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮