[Emacspeak] Re: TTS Problems with Pipewire and Fedora 37

I downgraded to pipewire 0.3.59 and all works again.

On a virtual system, I tried removing pipewire-pulse and doing that did
get things working with pipewire 0.3.61. However, the quality was
slightly distorted and latency wasn't great. As you predicted, this also
breaks lots of sound stuff - for example, firefox doesn't work and nor
did a number of other sound based packages.

This does seem to confirm the problem is with the espeak server and
pipewire-pulse. I will re-install pipewire-pulse on my virtual system
and see if I can tweak the settings to get it working.

I really don't understand why it would work for speaking the initial
espeak version information and then not work for subsequent output. I'm
guessing something must be getting reset after the first output is
sent. I had a bit of a scan of the pipewire and pipewire-pulse
changelog/news file for 0.33.61, but nothing jumped out as possible
explanation. Doesn't seem to be any related bugs logged (yet) either.