[Emacspeak] Emacspeak And Dectalk History

Browsing through the DECTalk sources on Github, I discovered my
original Emacspeak Software Dectalk server here:

https://github.com/dectalk/dectalk/blob/develop/src/samplosf/src/emacspeak/src/dtk.c#L29

Note: What is checked into the Emacspeak Git repo is a much later (and
much simpler/simplified)implementation --- the one pointed to above
was never released as Open Source (which meant I lost access to it
after Oct 1995 when I left Digital) -- it was released as part of
Digital's UNIX between 1995 and 1999 or so from memory.

The above implementation is "interesting" in that it implements
spatial audio (azimuth and elevation) as part of the call-in into the
Software Dectalk library -- suspect it can still be made to work  if
someone took the time to update some of that implementation to match
what is available on today's Linux systems in terms of libs.
At present I get somewhat equivalent effects on Pulse via my
default.pa for Pulseaudio -- but the spatial audio in that DTK server
is much more fine-grained in terms of control.

anyway that code brings back lots of good memories -- you can also
see when I started implementing it by browsing the revision history in
those files.

The Bithub site even contains snapshots of Emacspeak elisp files that
might likely predate the first public release in April 1995.

--

Thanks,

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

--