[Emacspeak] Re: Emacspeak and Mac OS

On Mon, 01 Aug 2022 01:02:36 +1000 Tim Cross via Emacspeak wrote:
> What I think really causes confusion and leads to fragility is there
> seems to be multiple approaches to both how you install packages and how
> you crate/manage virtual environments, combined with a real problem with
> API stability. I'm not sure I've come across a language with as many
> version issues. CL is a language which also has a number of different
> ways to manage packages and do installations. However, it doesn't suffer
> from the versioning issues which seem to afflict Python.
That's because cl is standardised and its standard hasn't been changed in 25
years. It's easy to write a program in it that work with any implementation
that follows the standard, and it isn't likely to break because one day a
person decided that $feature is evil and needs to be removed. Python is
diferent to put it nicely. Ignoring the python2 that came with my mac, I've got
three python versions installed, 3.8, 3.9 and 3.10, all of which are required
by one program or another. Back when I used offlineimap I think I needed to
install python2 as well because the system one wasn't good enough or something.
> Just for the record and to help avoid others running into similar, I
> should also say that it appears the mac server is not compatible with
> Python 3.10. I tried out that version because there are a number of
> deprecation warnings associated with pythong3.9, especially wrt package
> installation. Unfortunately, while running under python3.10 did look
> promising and the server would start and initially speak, it then just
> exists and won't produce speech. No errors or warnings are shown. Exact
> same setup with 3.9 seems to work fine.
Using python3.10 seems to work on my end, although I do recall something
similar happening when I use the espeak server. For a while it would work just
fine, and then it would just stop speaking and I had to restart using C-e C-s.
how long does it take for the speech to stop?
--
Видимо Се,

Александар