[Emacspeak] Re: OFF TOPIC - Locked Out of Gmail Account

"D.J.J. Ring, Jr. via Emacspeak" <emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org> writes:

> Greg,
>
> If I go to that link I only have an option to
>
> Get a verification code
>
> Google will send a verification code to "my landline number". Standard
> rates apply.
>
> That account is a landline, not a cell phone.
>
> It also says "try another way" - but there is not another option listed.

Note that the 'try another way' is a link and not just a title. If it
doesn't appear as a link or is not 'clickable', that may indicate your
browser does not have javascript enabled or there is an extension
installed in your browser which is blocking the JS (like Ghostery or a
badly written add blocker) or something incompatible in the browser.

I just went through the recovery process on a second account I have
access to. When I click on the 'try another way' link, it offers me the
first alternative, which also includes another 'try another way' link at
the bottom. If I click that link, it shows me a second alternative
method, again with a 'try another way' link at the bottom and when I
click on that, a 3rd alternative is offered. This process continues
until Google states "Unable to login you in" and tells you that Google
has exhausted all possible login methods based on the information they
have on record for you. It then provides the following link to
guidelines on account recovery -

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7299973?hl=en-GB

If your not seeing this process and are not getting the message that
google has exhausted all possible alternatives, I would suspect there is
something messed up in your local environment or you were unlucky enough
to hit a point in time when Google was having some technical
difficulties.

My suspicion is something in your environment. Google would see
thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of account recovery processes
each day. If the process was broken, there would be lots of noise!

Another long shot, if you do actually still know the password and you
have an Apple device, like an ipad, you could try connecting
that. Google will use an ipad as the 2FA (it pops up a 'Confirm'
dialogue in YouTube on the iPad. This is something I didn't explicitly
setup, but I do access gmail from the ipad using apple mail, which is
how I think Google knows that is an option.