[Emacspeak] Re: Switching the C-e prefix key to another binding

Patrick Smyth via Emacspeak <emacspeak(a)emacspeak.org> writes:

> Hi Emacspeakers,
>
> I'm back with another question. I'm looking to rebind the C-e Emacspeak prefix key to C-z. On Windows I had done this pretty
> successfully with these:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-z") emacspeak-keymap)
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-e") 'end-of-line)
>
> That kind of works on Linux as well, in that C-z works as the prefix key and C-e works as a direct hotkey to go to end of line.
> However, some actions, like switching buffers with C-x b, now produce this error:
>
> Key sequence C-e starts with non-prefix key C-e
>
> Is the buffer switching dependent on some macro or similar? How would you recommend rebinding C-e to another key sequence?
>
> I'm currently on Ubuntu 20.

You probably need to change the value of emacspeak-prefix in order to
change the prefix key used by Emacspeak. I suspect the approach your
using will generate inconsistent results because the code in Emacspeak
which sets the key bindings won't know you have changed the prefix.

I would try setting emacspeak-prefix before loading emacspeak and see if
that is all you need to do. I would also check the emacspeak manual as
this is likely covered there as well.