[Emacspeak] Re: Using Emacspeak with straight.el as Package Manager?

While I do use straight for other packages, I don't use it for Emacspeak. Using straight for emacspeak really just adds additional complications that don't add any benefit and are simply not worth the hassle.

Straight is a great system and I prefer it over package.el. However, as I know I always want Emacspeak installed and as it is trivial to do git pull to update, followed by make clean, make config and make, using straight doesn't help. I have a couple of packages where I don't use straight - typically ones which also involve other binaries and not just *.el/*.elc files e.g. mu and mu4e for example.

On Tue, 3 May 2022 at 10:40, Hendursaga via Emacspeak <emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello there,

> Has anyone had any luck with running Emacspeak with straight.el? I've tried
> the recipe from the emacsmmirror, but that didn't seem to work on its own

What version of Emacspeak? Did you remember to compile it first, as per
instructions? Here's a minimal config, assuming one was using a
pre-compiled 53.0 installation from the Debian Stable APT repository
(not recommended by the way, you DO want the latest features, right? ð???).

```
(defvar bootstrap-version)
(let ((bootstrap-file
       (expand-file-name "straight/repos/straight.el/bootstrap.el" user-emacs-directory))
      (bootstrap-version 5))
  (unless (file-exists-p bootstrap-file)
    (with-current-buffer
        (url-retrieve-synchronously
         "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raxod502/straight.el/develop/install.el"
         'silent 'inhibit-cookies)
      (goto-char (point-max))
      (eval-print-last-sexp)))
  (load bootstrap-file nil 'nomessage))

(load "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el")

(straight-use-package 'use-package)
(setq straight-use-package-by-default t)
```

~ Hendursaga