[Emacspeak] Re: Introduction & Voice Configuration Questions

I'm guessing from this and later comments that you don't have any of
the old ibmtts voices installed. Check for the existence of the file
/opt/oralux/voxin/rfs32/eci.ini which is the config file that my
version reads on startup. The error you're getting is one I had when
doing a voxin instalation in the years before oralux made the process
much easier.
btw to check which file it was opening I used an old, brutal but
robust approach:
strace -f -ooutfile ./outloud
outfile then contains every system call made by ./outloud and all the
processes it spawns. Far, far too much information usually but a bit
of judicious searching is often useful when all else fails.