Re: speak-continuously does not seem to work

Ah, makes sense! As far as I know, the Mac Emacspeak server has an issue where it sometimes misses queued text, so a general issue with this is that sometimes you might press space bar and just hear "press space bar to continue" again.
Apart from that, what you're describing seems to be the defined behavior: you pressed down arrow, so it'll read a line, wait for you to press space, then read the next line, and so on.
Maybe reading paragraphs will work better with this? I mean, if you're going to press space for each line, you might as well just press the down arrow.