web searches broken, probably not emacspeak itself

Just today I seem to have lost web searches. As an example typing
ctrl-e?g dialectic
returns
(\@id\="nav"\)\ or\ \(\@id\="rhs_block"\)\] in document.

Searching in firefox returns lots of nodes as one would expect.
I've not updated emacspeak for  a little while, using rev 3608fcb8d
I'm running ubuntu 18.04 and I suspect libshr or something has updated
underneath and broken something. Raman, did you have to adjust for an
underlying change during the last year?
Also, what's the last revision of emacspeak that will work with emacs
25.2, I'm not quite ready for the upgrade to 26.1 yet.
thanks in advance for any help
Peter

--
Peter Rayner