Emacspeak-use-auditory-icons not set correctly?

Hi,
I noticed the following about lisp/emacspeak-company.el:
- Some hooks use emacspeak-play-auditory-icon instead of emacspeak-auditory-icon.
- The ones that use emacspeak-play-auditory-icon work for me, but the ones that use emacspeak-auditory-icon don't.
- If I put a (message "%s" emacspeak-use-auditory-icons) in the emacspeak-auditory-icon function, when it's called from emacspeak-company.el hooks it outputs nil, but when I cause a sound icon to be played by doing something that causes an audio icon to be played, it is `t`.
Why is there a discrepancy here when emacspeak-auditory-icon is called from the hooks defined in emacspeak-company.el?
Thanks!