How can I know what text was matched by a regular expression?

Hi,
When navigating character-by-character, Emacspeak doesn't pronounce each character according to the face. So, when using `re-builder', I'm not sure where the match begins and where it ends. It works when navigating by words, but not by characters.
Is this an issue with the Mac speech server, or is this a feature/bug in Emacspeak? Either way, is there a way I can reliably get the text that the regular _expression_ in the regular _expression_ builder matches in a buffer?
Thanks!

|May 1995 - Last Year |Current Year|