Emacspeak doesn't announce the deleted character in yaml mode

Hi,
As yaml mode uses `yaml-electric-backspace` and not the `deleted-*` functions, pressing backspace in a yaml file doesn't speak the deleted character. I thought of adding the advice myself, but I see in `emacspeak-advice.el` that emacspeak is using the old `defadvice` mechanism.
Is there a way for Emacspeak to support yaml mode, or is that too much work? If the latter, is there a way I can contribute? Should I follow the new standard for setting advice, or the old one?
Thanks!

|May 1995 - Last Year |Current Year|