audio indent

Hi guys:
I am a bit confused about the documentation to the speak/beep indents functionality. based on the description I see, it should be possible to set up indent to beep instead of saying how many indent units there are, but I can't figure out how to do this in my config. Do I need to run some lisp function, or must I set a specific variable? I have indent turned on in my config like this. it's commented out, because emacs was unhappy with this.
I'm also curious what documentation I should read to become familiar with reading diffs with emacspeak.
Cheers,
Derek
;;emacspeak setup stuff:
(load-file "~/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el")
(dtk-set-rate 800)
;;; (emacspeak-audio-indentation-method "tones")
(emacspeak-toggle-character-echo)

;;;Emacspeak stuff ends here.

--
Derek Riemer