Debian CLI

I'm trying to build up a Debian CLI with emacspeak.

Things have changed since I did this before.

Before if you just deselected Debian Desktop and Printer Server and
just retained "Utilities" it would make a Debian Command Line system.

I tried the selection for speech installation but I must have selected
Advanced.  I got too many X-Windows files, so I just did  the regular
install and I used large font on the screen to see it.

I think I found what I need to get sound on the basic install of
Debian.  If I install alsa-tools, alsamixer it brings in whatever else
I need for sound.

Now I have using Oralux's Voxin emacspeak installer and Voxinup a
working emacspeak with Outloud.

Emacspeak installer is at:
http://soft.oralux.net/emacspeak/emacspeak_voxin_install

Voxinup is at: http://soft.oralux.net/speakup/voxinup_install

I also downloaded emacspeak-master and overwrote my emacs, so now I
have emacspeak with emacs 26.1.

I installed voxinup so now I have speech all the time in console, not
just when I use emacspeak.

Here is my problem.

How can I stop and start voxinup so that when I run emacspeak, I only
hear the speech synthesizer from emacspeak?  Now I am hearing both.

I believe I had written a childish script that killed voxinup but now
I tried it again and I get something about soft_synth repeating over
and over.  I can killall voxinup but I cannot use sudo systemctl start
voxinup.service as it gives me the error about soft_synth over and
over without speaking at all.

Does anyone have a way to stop voxinup?

Best regards,

David Ring