Possible up-coming Incompatibility with org mode

This is just an FYI for those who tend to run on the bleeding edge and to let Raman know of possible incompatibility with emacspeak and org 9.0.5.

The issue is primarily about the org-eww-store-link function in the emacspeak-org.el file. The org-eww support has been brought into org core as of version 9.0.5 (probably 9.0.0), so we probably won't need this in emacspeak-org once Emacs is updated to bundle org verison 9 (it currently still has version 8).

However, org has also changed the way it manages addition of new link handlers, so the way emacspeak-org adds this handler is also incompatible with org v9.

Note that this is not a problem for anyone who is just using the org that is bundled with emacs. However, if you are someone who likes to install the latest org from either the org elpa repository or the gnu repository, both have been updated to 9.0.5, you can get some subtle org problems.

What is likely to happen is that you may get a mixed org installation whee version 8 and 9 become a little mixed up.

In my case, to fix this, I've just taken the easy soltuion of commetning out the unnecessary bit of code at the end of emacspeak-org.el. However, this isn't a real fix as doing so will break things for those who are still using the older version of org. Probably could just fix this by testing for the presence of org-store-link-functions as a function. If it does not exist, then you are using org v8 and want to add org-eww-store-link and if it does exist, do nothing.

Unfortunately, things can be a little more complex depending on individual setup. If your loading emacspeak right at the beginning, before elpa init, then things can get messy as emacspeak may load the built-in versio of org. To avoid this, I now make sure that package.el is loaded and initialized before I load emacspeak.  this may or may not be correct - I'm still getting my head wrapped around some of the subtleties here. Probably the safest thin to do is just not install org, but then again, some elpa packages will do this anyway.

Tim

Tim

--
regards,