emacspeak and emacs 24.5

I suspect this has been asked before but I apologise I can't find it.
Our university has settled on ubuntu 16.04 as its standard release.
I'm exploring switching from the fedora installations I've used for
years. ubuntu 16.04 has emacs 24.5. I just tried making emacspeak on
this and it failed when trying to load dom.el which appears to be a
file introduced in emacs-25. If that's right it suggests there are
other emacs-25 dependencies I'll need to work with and the best
solution is an install from source of emacs-25.1. No problem if
necessary but I thought I'd check with any other ubuntu 16.04 users to
see how they track the HEAD emacspeak distribution. Any wisdom appreciated.
thanks in advance
Peter

--
Peter Rayner