Square brackets and curly braces in the mini-echo buffer

Suppose I map a key to a function that uses the (message) function:

(local-set-key (kbd "C-z") (lambda () (interactive) (message "\[surrounded by square brackets\] (surrounded by parens) {surrounded by braces}")))

When actually hit the key shortcut (C-z), I *see* that the one-line mini echo buffer says the following text: "[surrounded by square brackets] (surrounded by parens) {surrounded by braces}".

But the voice synthesizer *omits* the open and close square bracket and curly braces chars -- even though it does say the open and close parens. I've enabled every "say punctuation" mode I can find, and this only seems to apply to the one-line echo buffer...the exact same chars in the messages buffer read just fine.

This is on a MacOS running 25.1.50.1, and my last "git pull" of emacspseak was about ten days ago.

Any pointers would be most appreciated...square brackets are rather important in Clojure :-)

Many thanks!

Marshall Flax

|All Past Years |Current Year|